5 Mar 2014 - NZ Open - Press Release
Organisers of the New Zealand Open today (Wednesday March 4) announced that the 2015 New Zealand Open will be moved back two weeks to be held from March 12 to 15 2015.
Staged at The Hills and Millbrook Resort in Queenstown last week, tournament organisers have hailed the event "a huge success" confirming an increased crowd of 20,000 attended over the four days - around 5,000 more than the NZPGA tournament held last year.
"We're really pleased with the official numbers," said Tournament Director Michael Glading.
"If it weren't for brutal weather on Friday with snow on the mountains and uncharacteristically cold days, things could have been even better," he said.
This year was the first time a national Open had been held in this format, running over two courses and including a pro-am competition. The event has been "very well received" by players, amateurs, celebrities, volunteers and attendees with "outstanding" feedback already.
Next year the event will be held at The Hills and Millbrook Resort once again and the new date in March will closer align the event with a swing of events that lead into the Japan golf tour.
"It makes a lot of sense to push the event back a little so players can have a lead in to major tournaments in Asia.
"The feedback from players and celebs has been overwhelming. They love coming to Queenstown and many of the professionals have said it's their favourite event of the year," said Mr Glading.
As well as visitors enjoying the golf, an estimated 2,000-strong crowd enjoyed the Open Sounds concert presented by Amisfield on Saturday night, featuring up and coming young local singer Holly Arrowsmith and Anika Moa.
"The entertainment factor at the NZ Open -including 'The 19th' and the 15th Party Hole- is hugely important and one we plan to build on year by year," said Mr Glading.
"We're already looking forward to the 95th NZ Open."